Student Recipes: Cooking a Roast Dinner for less than £5
Article writen by: Frankie
Who doesn't love a roast dinner? Being a student at Leicester University, I find roast dinners to be the one meal that cures a hangover in seconds and makes you feel ten times better. When living in accommodation for students in Leicester that's close to town, it can be easy to always eat out or grab a takeaway then later wonder where all your money has gone. So that's why I'm here to show you how to save money, and how to cook the BEST roast dinner for less than £5! That's right, you can enjoy your favourite home cooked meal without breaking the bank. All you need for this dish is a hob, a slow cooker and your oven.
The best places to shop for ingredients include Aldi and Lidl, but I also recommend popping to Morrisons as they offer great deals on a range of meat. For this recipe, I found a pork shank that costed £2.82 leaving the remainder change for vegetables and roast potatoes.
- Pork Shank
- Your choice of vegetables
- Place the pork shank in the oven for the dedicated cooking time
- Put together a bowl of ginger, garlic, pepper and peppercorn and mix these all together
- Warm up a frying pan and add in some oil
- Fry the mixed ingredients together then add a spoon of soy and a dash of vinegar
- In a separate pan to make a sauce add some sugar cubes with some oil and fry, once bubbling add some water but be mindful when doing so
- Once the meat has been cooked, place this into a slow cooker with water filled to the second line
- Pour over the mixed ingredients and fried sauce
- Then top up the water levels so this is almost covering the meat
- Leave for 3 hours
- Then remove the meat and pop this back into the oven for 5 minutes for the best results
- Add some roast potatoes and vegetables and your meal is complete
That's all there is to it! A simple recipe that will leave you full and impress your friends if you host a flat meal.
Still looking for Leicester uni accommodation? Click on the link to see what Student Beehive has to offer.